Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: 2017 Debuts I'm Excited For

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Here at We Live and Breathe Books, two of us choose five books each week. This weeks topic is...

2017 debuts I'm excited for!

Kiersten's Picks


One of Us is Lying
Karen M. McManus
Release Date: May 30, 2017
Publisher: Delacorte Press

This book is billed as The Breakfast Club meets Pretty Little Liars, and even if it ends up not being entirely accurate, it still sounds really cool. Five completely different kids go into detention together but one ends up dead. This mystery sounds like one that will be really interesting and fun to try and follow along with!

Juniper Lemon's Happiness Index
Julie Israel
Release Date: June 27. 2017
Publisher: Kathy Dawson Books
Goodreads 

Although the concept of this book sounds a bit similar to other blurbs I've read, I've never actually read a book like this one. A mysterious letter found after the death of her sister, and learning to cope while solving the mystery? Sounds like it could be a really great read!

Who's That Girl
Blair Thornburgh
Release Date: July 11, 2017
Publisher: Harper Collin's Childrens
Goodreads

While Juniper Lemon's Happiness Index sounds like one of those really emotional reads, Who's That Girl sounds like a ton of fun! A girl's crush writes a song that may be about her, and she has to figure it out? This sounds so cute, and I'm really excited about it.

The Black Witch 
Laurie Forest
The Black Witch Chronicles, #1
Release Date: May 2, 2017
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Goodreads

And here we have one of the two witch debuts I found! Being that I like witches, this was kind of an obvious choice for me, although this one is fantasy rather than paranormal. There are prophecies and magic, and it just sounds like it's going to be a really great series.

Witchtown
Corey Putnam Oakes
Release Date: July 18, 2017
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Goodreads

The second witch book is more similar in genre to the witch books I loved from 2016. This book takes place in a town of witches (obviously) and follows a girl and her mother who originally go to the town to rob it, but they end up uncovering some powerful secrets. I can't wait to read it!

Sam's Picks


Daughter of the Pirate King
Tricia Levenseller
Release Date: February 28, 2017
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Goodreads

Of course I was interested in this book, as there is a lady pirate on the cover. Then I read the blurb, and it amused me. This story is about the pirate king’s daughter, Alosa, who organizes her own kidnapping in order to infiltrate an enemy ship and acquire a legendary treasure map. Alosa sounds like a fierce female character, and those are the heroines who always win my heart. Early reviews are positive and cite the book as being bloody and funny - a great combination.

Wicked Like a Wildfire
Lana Popovic
Hibiscus Daughter, #1
Release Date: August 15, 2017
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Goodreads

In my attempt to mix it up genre-wise, I selected Wicked Like a Wildfire. I know, I really shouldn’t be starting any new series, but this is about magical sisters and ancient family curses. The brief descriptions of the magic, or gleams, sounds intriguing, and I love this idea of the each sister’s fate tied to the other. I anticipate some suspenseful moments from this one.

This Beats Perfect
Rebecca Denton
Release Date: February 2, 2017
Publisher: Atom Books
Goodreads

This book is about music! Better yet, it’s about English music. As a total anglophile, my tail is wagging. I read a bunch of the reviews, and I am hearing awesome things, but one reviewer really hooked me with with this description:

“Think if David Nicholls and Stephanie Perkins had a musically oriented book baby, and that's basically This Beats Perfect.” - Carlie Sorosiak

That right there pretty much sold me, AND it’s a rom-com. What more could I ask for?

The Hidden Memory of Objects
Danielle Mages Amato
Release Date: March 21, 2017
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Goodreads

The Hidden Memory of Objects is a murder mystery, which sounds like it has a magical element too. The blurb states:

“However, she now realizes that her artistic talent has developed into something more: she can see memories attached to some of Tyler’s belongings—and those memories reveal a brother she never knew.”

That sounds pretty awesome to me, and although I do not read a lot of mysteries, I always find that I enjoy them.

Royal Bastards
Andrew Shvarts
Release Date: June 6, 2017
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Goodreads

A group of bastard children end up witnessing a crime and go on the run to protect one of the royals. Well, that caught my attention. Who am I kidding, the title caught my attention. I love all things royal, and the royalty combined with rebellion and murderous plots has me all in. According to early reviews, this book also has magic, romance, and humor. My trifecta appears to be fulfilled.

What 2017 debuts are you excited for?
Let us know in the comments!
SaveSave

1 comment:

  1. One of Us is Lying sounds so good. I'm also really excited for Royal Bastards.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete