Friday, August 29, 2014

ARC Review: Hunter's Trail - Melissa F. Olson

Hunter's Trail
Melissa F. Olson 
Series: Scarlett Bernard, #3
Genre: Urban Fantasy, Paranormal, Mystery
Release Date: September 2, 2014
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Word Rating: Great third book
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository

It's kind of funny to me when I think back to why I started reading this series - my Amazon gift card was running low and I wanted to find a cheap ebook to read. Enter Dead Spot as a Kindle daily deal and my love for this series began.

I was quite excited about Hunter's Trail after reading Trail of Dead (review here), and then even more so after reading Sell-By Date, the Molly novella (review here). As a result, when Melissa F. Olson offered me a copy for review, I was beyond excited. Hunter's Trail was definitely a great third book in the series, although it's probably my least favorite of the three.

After Dead Spot followed vampires and Trail of Dead followed witches, it was cool to finally get insight into the mythology of werewolves. Melissa F. Olson always does an incredible job inventing a complex and interesting mythology in her books and this one is no exception. Melissa F. Olson's take on werewolves is so cool, twisting the way the reader sees werewolves in an almost scientific yet still magical way.

While the former two books in the Scarlett Bernard series focused on finding one villain, this book is a bit more complex than that. In Hunter's Trail, there are several different powers in action working against Scarlett, making this book a bit more complex than the former books. The biggest downfall to this was that there was less action and more sitting around and analyzing the situation. Since Scarlett and Jesse were partners working together again in this story, they had to have a lot of conversations about why certain things could have happened and what they had to do next. While it was definitely important and interesting, it was less exciting for the over all plot.

As always, I thoroughly enjoyed Scarlett's humor - she has a dry humor and she often incorporates some gallows humor as well. I do wish there had been more. Scarlett-Eli time in the book though - there is never enough Eli.

Overall, while there are still more Scarlett Bernard novels coming in the somewhat distant future, I thought Hunter's Trail was satisfying as the end to a trilogy. Even though it left the story open for more Scarlett adventures, it definitely tied up a lot of loose ends that came about throughout the series.  I highly recommend this series, especially to lovers of urban fantasy and mystery!

- Kiersten

What's your favorite type of paranormal being?
Let us know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment